The Rubbery Peat Floor of Brown’s Bog

I was hesitant to volunteer for the “experiment” Professor Bourne proposed, especially after he asked for individuals with good jumping ability. However, after I saw the effect that bouncing humans could make on the trees above, I wished I would have volunteered. I had never seen the rubbery texture of the ground that we saw at Brown’s Bog. Due to the ground being made of peat (which consists of dead plant material deposits, usually mosses), it has a quality of elasticity so when people jump on it, it shakes the tree branches above. These dead moss deposits must have been building up in many layers for many years for this effect to take place. I remember thinking about how such a soft and squishy ground could be detrimental to the trees. Couldn’t they fall over? I imagined it would be hard for their roots to hold them in place in such a medium. I noticed that usually when I have concerns like this for the flora and fauna, I am concerned because human activity has created a problem that threatens them in some way, but I realized that in this case, the squishy ground was natural and had been in existence for such a long period of time. Somehow, many trees are still able to grow in the area. I suppose this is something about nature that I don’t fully understand yet, but I appreciate it nonetheless.